I’ve only been running Triple S for about a month, so imagine my surprise when I was nominated for a Liebster Award from Angela over at Striving For Balance! I did not even know this was a thing in the blogging world until her thoughtful nomination!
What is the Liebster Award?
This post contains affiliate links, see the sidebar for more information.
According to the Global Aussie, it’s “an award that exists only on the internet and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.”
Now, onto the nomination questions!
What inspired you to start your blog?
I got into working out and Battlestar Galactica at around the same time – when I was a junior in college. I often imagined Kara Thrace standing next to the treadmill or whatever machine I was on, shouting at me to push more, work harder. In my head, I was a Viper pilot in training and I had a long way to go to be part of the Colonial Fleet.
It was weird but it was my greatest source of motivation.
I started this blog to reach out to similarly inclined nerds who are working to get into better shape – whether they want to get stronger, run faster, or just get to a healthy body composition. I wanted to create a place to help others level up their lives.
What have you gained or learned since starting you blog?
There’s such an amazing community out there, and I had no way of tapping into them with all of my earlier hobby blogs. I’ve been able to meet so many people on facebook groups and through pinterest and it’s one of the most supportive environments I’ve been in.
What is the most challenging part of blogging?
I gotta admit it makes me nervous and a little obsessive about my analytics. I see success stories about people making money with their affiliate links and traffic. I know I need to step back and breathe and let it grow naturally. Gotta walk before I can run, right?
What is a current goal you are striving for?
In terms of blogging — I want to keep trying to build my followers into a family – and work to get my NASM certification so that I can offer online personal training and health coaching.
If you could shape shift into any animal, which would it be and why?
Cat. I mean, their lives are just the best. Lounging around in sunbeams all day? Getting snuggles. Having CLAWS. Being demonically cute? Yup. Sounds good to me.
If you could go anywhere in this world, where would it be?
I have to pick one place??? There are so many places I want to go! I haven’t seen nearly enough of Europe. I’ve never been to Asia or Africa or Australia or South America. But if I can only pick one… maybe New Zealand or the South Pacific.
Hawaii is my happy place, but I’d like to get out of the US and see more tropical lands.
What do you love to do when you’re not blogging?
Right now I’m hosting a limited-series podcast called Countdown to Infinity: An Avengers Initiative with some of the folks over at Dueling Genre. You can also hear me as the voice of Gwen in Geek by Night. I’m also always looking for the next big thing to Netflix binge.
What are the Liebster Award Nominations Rules?
- Thank the blogger who gave you the award with a link back to their blog.
- Give the award to 5-10 new bloggers who you appreciate.
- Leave a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them!
- Head over to https://theglobalaussie.com/liebster-award-2018 and leave a comment with your blog link.
- Have fun exploring new blogs!
Here are my nominations!
- Ashley at Ashleywittfitness.com
- Jordyn at www.kettlebellsandkids.com
- Winona at https://www.pearlsandsneakers.com/
- Chantal at https://www.ironwildfitness.com/ (who just had her second child! go congratulate her!)
- Kimberly at Margaritas2muscles.com
- Lauren from myenergybalancingact.com
- and Jackie from jackieuhrmacher.com
Your nomination questions
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- What is your favorite hobby outside of blogging?
- If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
- What is your go-to easy dinner?
- What have you learned about yourself through blogging?
- What is your first piece of advice for someone getting into fitness for the first time?
- What do you wish you knew about blogging before you began?
I finally got my Trifecta Pass and signed up for my first two races.
I was hoping to get my Sprint started in April or May, but the races near me were not going to work out. Citi Field, my most raced course, is scheduled for the same day as a Taekwondo tournament I plan on attending. The next closest Sprint was scheduled for the weekend when I was going to be in Ireland.
Where can you find me on the course? I’m signed up for the Tuxedo Sprint on June 2nd, and the Palmerton Super on July 14th.
I’m waiting on the Beast, to check out my financial situation before I make any plans for trips. I’m considering Florida in December if I can swing it, but Hawaii is looking like it’s going to be out of the question this year.
In terms of training, I went to an amazing crossfit event with OUTWOD, so keep your eyes peeled for a post about that in the future. OutWOD is an LGBTQ+ Crossfit charity group, and the proceeds from the group workouts go to support the LGBT fitness community. This year they are starting to raise money for six gender affirmation surgeries for transgender Crossfit athletes.
It’s definitely a worthy cause, so you should check them out.
How can you support me on my Spartan Journey?
- Buy me a coffee! All money is going towards supporting this site, my Spartan races, and my NASM certification.
- Snag some awesome Spartan gear of your own.
- Sign up for your own Spartan RaceSpartan Race.
- Share me on social media.
- Just keep being awesome.
Until next time!